Tonight: steamed veggies and lasagne.
This is usually a total win dinner, but not so much tonight. I was all ‘WIN!’ because I had a bunch of red slop in the freezer from the Borlotti Bean Moussaka so I could just do all the layers and put it in the oven. But there were problems.
1. We are SICK and TIRED of that particular red slop. I should have made a fresh one with fresh flavours.
2. I didn’t have enough of the red slop to really layer the layers. The red slop is really important for cooking the lasagne sheets.
3. I put the wrong thing on the top layer. I just had slices of tofu with cheese on top. WRONG. It should have been slices of fresh tomato and basil the way we usually do it, but I’d forgotten that.
4. The layers were dull. Baby spinach, slices of firm tofu, red slop, sweet potato. I did the order incorrectly. It was all a bit dry and not so great. I didn’t approve.
But we ate it.
This is where the wheels could come off this thing. A few dud meals, a few boring meals, and we’ll get bored with the whole exercise and fall back on old dinner plans. I think it’s time Dave did actually make those stir fries. That’s his special ninja power.
Other dishes we haven’t made yet:
– Nachos. This is one of our favourite dinners, with a beany sauce (onions, canned borlotti or some bean other than kidney as I don’t like them much, canned tomato, chilli, ground coriander and ground cumin, garlic), decent corn chips (not shitty Doritos), a good salsa (tomato, onion, garlic, coriander, lime juice, etc), a good gaucamole.
– Stir fries of different types.
– Red Thai veggie curry.
– Other Indian curry options, including egg cury.
– Pasta. I’m thinking puttanesca, even though it has anchovies in it. But I love it. Chilli, rich.
Can you see a theme here? Yes. Too many canned tomatoes, you’re right.
…actually, I can’t remember the other dinner ideas. But there were more. We need to get it together in this house, STAT!